At Bohannon Middle School we strive to provide parent and guardians with the opportunity to develop leadership and advocacy skills while supporting parent engagement and the academic success of our students.Your involvement at Bohannon helps your own children and the children of other parents too. Whether it means helping in the classroom or even from home, there are many ways to participate!
You'll also tap into trends and fads of school life that can help you communicate with your kids as they grow and change — all without intruding on their privacy or personal space. There are also tasks that would be helpful that a parent could complete at home. Even if you haven't been involved in the past, it's never too late to start. In fact, it may be more important than ever to get involved when kids reach secondary school.
How Do I Get Started?
Here are some of the ways a parent volunteer can help:
- decorate bulletin boards in the hallways
- decorate doors
- hang student work
- special projects – these will come up as the year goes on
- use a special skill to assist with a club
- mentor or tutor students
- volunteer in a school computer lab
- help organize, cater, or work at fundraising activities such as bake sales or car washes
- help to plan and chaperone field trips, track meets, and other events that take place away from the school
- help to plan and chaperone in-school events (dances or promotion ceremonies)
- assist coaches and gym teachers with sports and fitness programs or work in the school concession stand at sporting events
- help the school administrators prepare grant proposals, letter-writing campaigns, or press releases, or help with other administrative needs
- attend school board meetings
- work with the school band or orchestra or coach music students one-on-one
- help out with visual arts, crafts, and design courses and projects
- volunteer to speak in the classroom or at a career day, if you have a field of expertise that you'd like to share
Ready to volunteer? Click here to sign up!
- Be clear about how much time you're willing to volunteer. Don't be afraid to say no if you're asked to do more than you feel comfortable with — but try to say it early enough so that someone else can take your place. Many trips and activities can't happen unless the school has enough chaperones or supervisors.
- Start small. Don't offer to coordinate the holiday bake sale, the band recital, and a swim meet all at once. If you've taken on too much, find out if you can pass some duties to other parents.
- Get feedback from the teachers and students. Find out what's most and least helpful to them, and ask what you can do to make the most of the time you spend on school activities. It's important to communicate openly with teachers, administrators, students, and volunteers. Be flexible and responsive as the needs of the students and the school change.
Did You Know?
Did you know that Bohannon has a Community Room?
We encourage ALL families to come by and check out our very first Community Room, located right outside the Main Hallway.
We hold most of our parent meetings and gatherings there.
Families are welcome to come by and use the room during school days, whether it is to talk to another buddy or to use our Chromebooks.
This is the perfect space for our Parent Volunteers and Leaders to work in!
Remember that volunteering not only benefits your kids. It helps the classroom, the whole school, and the community by giving students positive interaction, support, and encouragement.
Thank you Bohannon families for all your dedication and hard work.